Friday, May 28, 2010

Trying to spot the silver lining.

So I made it through tests, finals, and papers and emerged with fairly good grades and a lot of relief. My first big hurdle I had to overcome at the start of this summer was moving into my new apartment. I live in Greenville, which is close enough to home that I can get home if I needed to, but far enough away that it is a little inconvenient to make the drive (for me, or for others). I have been here for a little over a week, and it has been an experience. Due to my upbringing, I already knew how to cook, how to budget money, how to do laundry, and mostly everything required to be independent. I did buy a few things for the first time like stamps, envelopes, tape, and household things like that. I was NOT, however, prepared to feel the isolation. When planning out things, I generally neglect to think through the negative side of things, and I never that about how isolated I would be. Greenville has turned into a ghost town since the semester has ended and mostly everyone has gone home for the summer. I have never lived on my own, so it is weird to not have someone always around. It was a little hard at first, but it is gradually getting a little better. I do have friends here, but they are busy or have children and lives of their own, so I need to keep myself entertained. I work 20 hours a week at the school, but it is a very independent job with little to no supervision or corroboration with others. I feel pretty confident that things will start to look up when I start my internship in a few weeks, though. People will also be coming back to the college to start doing their research.

I can tell I am growing up. I am doing what is best for my future, when I would MUCH rather be home goofing off and squandering time with my friends. Growing up is not a fun process, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment